Monday, September 26, 2011

Since my front porch looks like this.....


That only means that this is the busiest time of year for my family. My husband is a high school football coach and I am his right hand man. These Fridays are the best, but it takes a lot of work the rest of the week to make it all happen. This week will be extra special busy for me, so in order to keep it all together, my crock pots, rice cooker and grill were all very busy this weekend. That's why my kitchen looked like this....


The good news is that it will take very little effort to put dinner on the table this week. Most of the work and cleanup are already done. Here's our menu for the week:

Monday - Shepherd's pie and tossed salad
Tuesday - Chicken fried rice
Wednesday - Chicken and bean quesadillas
Thursday - BBQ pulled pork sandwiches, corn and cinnamon apples
Friday - Dinner out with the team
Saturday - Pasta with chicken, bacon and peas
Sunday - Grilled Buffalo chicken, Jalapeno Popper dip, potato skins and veggies (football watching food)

The BBQ pulled pork is from my favorite pork crock pot recipe that isn't really a recipe. Costco sells large pork loins at a great price, that's where I get mine.

Pork loin (7-8 lbs)
one medium onion, chopped
20 oz can pineapple tidbits in juice
1 clove garlic, minced

Place your pork loin in your crock pot. Depending on what type of crock pot you have, either cut it into a few big pieces or wrap it around the inside. That's what I do. Dump the other ingredients on top, and let it go, on low, for about 8 hours. After it cools, remove any visible fat and shred the pork. Usually, I shred it all into a 13x9" pan, then using a slotted spoon remove the pineapple and onions from the crock pot and add to the meat.

At this point, you could stir in BBQ sauce of your choice and divide it into 5 freezer bags for sandwiches. I like to remove 2 cups of the pork and stir in a little soy sauce, brown sugar and garlic powder before I freeze and label it to add to a stir fry. If you freeze the shredded pork flat in quart sized freezer bags, it thaws pretty quickly and is a great stand by if you need something really quick. It's like making your own fast food, just add a bag of burger buns and a vegetable. Cook once, eat five times. That's how we get through Football season here.

No comments:

Post a Comment