Thursday, July 24, 2014

Homemade Deodorant SUCCESS!!!!!


Okay, so everyone has seen all the posts on Facebook about how dangerous most commercially made antiperspirant/deodorants can be. I've always just assumed the risk because I don't want to be all sweaty and stinky. After my sister and sister-in-law had great success with making their own, I decided to give it a whirl. It was the simplest thing to make and everything I needed was already in my kitchen.

Here is the recipe that I used:
1/3 c. Cornstarch
1/3 c. Coconut Oil (I like Tropical Traditions)
1/4 c. Baking Soda
a few drops of essential oil, I used tea tree and grapefruit

I measured everything into a glass bowl and used my pastry cutter to mix it all together. Then I scraped it into a little glass jar to keep in the bathroom.



There is a shadow in the photo above, but I wanted to show the consistency with the spoon. It is staying pretty thick even though our air conditioner is set to 80 degrees and coconut oil is usually liquid at that temperature.  My oldest daughter is using it too (and loves it) so I split it with her.

So here's the nitty gritty stuff that no one tells you.  I spread it on with my fingers, not enough that it is visible but enough to cover. Don't rub it in too hard because the baking soda can irritate. Don't apply right after shaving for the same reason, wait a few hours.  I have literally rubbed my finger in my underarm to see if I could smell anything on them at all and NOTHING. I also ran tons of errands and went to both Costco and Sam's between 12 and 2 and thought for sure that I would have visible sweat spots and nothing there either. I line dry all of our laundry and am outside for a decent chunk of time, still nothing. I am completely impressed. Completely. Make it, try it. Let me know what you think.

1 comment:

  1. This is great! I had no idea you have a blog. Awesome! I have to follow.

    ReplyDelete